When Should I Have My Windows Cleaned?
Timing is everything. That’s especially true about window cleaning. The time of year you should clean your windows helps to ensure they look great and glisten all year round.
So what’s the best time for window washing? That comes down to a number of factors. Traditionally, spring is a popular time, but summer, when you’ll be entertaining outdoors, and fall, as you winterize your home, are also great times for professional window cleaning.
To help you determine what time is best, we’ve assembled this helpful guide. We’ll tell you what to look for, what seasons are best, and how often you should wash the windows on your home or business.
Signs You Should Have Your Windows Cleaned
If your windows haven’t been cleaned within the past year, generally, it’s a good idea to have them professionally cleaned ASAP. Some of the most common signs that it’s time for a cleaning include:
- Cloudy windows – Pollen, dirt and grime build up on your windows exteriors, and result in a cloudy, grayish tint.
- Algae / mold growth – Algae and mold grow on windows and can be greenish or black. If you notice mold growth, schedule window cleaning.
- Streaky screens – Dust and dirt collect in screens, and as a result, they can begin to look streaky or cloudy.
- Dirty sills – Dirt collects in the sills of windows and around the exterior of a window. Regular cleaning will prevent this problem.
Best Time of Year for Window Cleaning
In general, you can have your home’s windows professionally cleaned any time of year. However, spring is typically one of the best and most popular times of year, especially if the windows weren’t cleaned during winter.
Here’s a look at the best times for window cleaning:
- Spring / Fall Window Cleaning – Spring and fall are some of the best seasons for window cleaning. That’s because windows are often exposed to pollen and leaf litter during these seasons, and as a result, tend to build up grime, dirt, and become cloudy. The weather tends to be milder and we experience less radical shifts in temperature during these seasons. Generally, you want to avoid cleaning windows when they’re exposed to direct sun. This is because the glass can overheat, resulting in streaks.
- Summer Window Cleaning – Summer is also good, especially if you missed a spring cleaning. Early summer, after the spring bloom is typically one of the better times, as the windows, frames and sills tend to collect pollen this time of year.
It’s important to note that you can wash your windows any time of the year (including when temperatures are below freezing). Generally, if you notice some of the signs that your windows are dirty, or you’ve neglected cleaning for a season or two, you should consider scheduling window cleaning service.
Ultimately, one of the best times for window cleaning is an overcast day with no inclement weather in the forecast. Even if rain is forecasted, these conditions are ideal for window cleaning as long as the rain isn’t heavy.
How Often Should I Clean My Windows?
The best time for window cleaning is also dependent on how susceptible your windows are to getting dirty. Homes with many mature trees on the property or homes that are exposed to dust, tend to have a more difficult time keeping windows clean.
A good rule of thumb: You should plan to have your home’s windows cleaned once or twice per year.
Cleaning in the spring and fall, for example, will help protect your windows from tough stains, and ensure pollen and other debris doesn’t adhere to the glass. Like any home cleaning project, scheduling maintenance will help prevent the need for costly repairs or additional services like stain removal.
Ultimately, you may want to clean your windows on an as-needed basis. This is especially true if your windows are exposed to a lot of pollution, pollen, or dust. In these cases you may need to increase window cleaning frequency to 2-3 times per year.
Get an estimate for window cleaning service by Clean and Clear! You can learn more about how we create window cleaning estimates, or schedule service now.
Exterior property cleaning
We take pride in having top quality cleaning systems and employee training in all areas of our services. Our outstanding customer service and satisfaction has earned the trust of thousands of home and business owners throughout our Minnesota service area since our company began.