Dirt and grime on the outside of a building can often be overlooked, but streaks on a window are immediately noticeable. Having clean windows are important for business, as they are often the first glimpse customers have into your company and the way you conduct business. The problem is that window streaks are hard to avoid.
Whether they are caused by inefficient cleaning, poor technique or simply being sloppy, windows with streaks are a common problem.
What Causes Window Streaking?
Before we tell you how to get rid of your window streaks, it is helpful to understand what causes them in the first place. Here are the top two causes of window streaking.
- The Cleaner.- All window cleaning solutions are created equal? False. Some multi-purpose cleaners claim to be streak-free but fail to deliver. A big problem is the evaporation rate. If you’re cleaning your windows on a warm sunny day, the liquid part of the solution evaporates quickly and leaves behind a residue that appears as streaks. On the other hand, if you don’t entirely remove the liquid you can also be left with a streaky window. Take your time when you are cleaning your windows as being in a hurry is a sure-fire way of creating streaks.
- The Towel.- The type of cloth or towel used is also a factor. Towels that are not as absorbent spread dirt and moisture instead of removing them, leaving behind those ugly streaks. Other towels may shed, leaving you with streaks of dust, debris and lint. A towel that has been previously used for other purposes may have been contaminated with other cleaners. The oils and detergents in household cleaners can remain on towels even after they have been washed, making them useless for window cleaning.
How to Get Rid of Streaks on Your Windows
Now that you know what causes streaks, you can formulate the best plan to get rid of them. The proper way to remove window streaks or marks is to do another cleaning.
Here are a few tips to help you remove streaks.
Step 1. Go over the window using a dry dust-free microfiber cloth. Often streaks will vanish with a little elbow grease.
Step 2. If step 1 doesn’t work for you, it will be necessary to use a cleaning solution. We recommend a solution of dawn dish soap or another solution such as ecover.
Step 3. Apply the solution to a small area starting at the bottom of the window working upward, to avoid dripping. Be sure to work fast but clean thoroughly and with enough force that no residue is left behind. It is often helpful to use specialized window cleaning equipment like a squeegee.
Step 4. Go back and dry the edges of the window from the top down with a new or clean dust-free cloth.
When to Call a Professional
Window cleaning can be a thankless job; meaning that when it is done right, no one notices, but when it is done wrong or haphazardly, those unsightly streaks become visible to everyone. Plus, your glass windows represent a significant financial investment and damage to glass is inherent when you don’t use the right tools and equipment.
Often the windows in commercial buildings have coatings or other glass features that make streak-free cleaning nearly impossible for untrained staff. A professional window cleaner can handle these problem areas and more.
Some areas that require professional attention are:
- High and hard to reach windows
- Skylight cleaning
- Coated or tinted glass cleaning
- Interior and exterior cleaning
- Etched or decorative glass cleaning
- Stained glass window cleaning
- Crystal cleaning
- New construction or remodel clean-up
- Emergency cleaning
Finally, when safety is a concern, you want a professional on the job. Be sure to choose a company who is licensed and whose employees are bonded.
Zero Downtime Means Increased Productivity for Your Business
Don’t have the luxury of closing your business to have your windows cleaned? No worries, a professional team can work around your customers and staff to provide you with worry-free, zero downtime commercial window cleaning service.
As a business, your windows are the portal through which the outside world views you. If you want to be certain your windows are crystal clear, if you have a specialized glass, or difficult to reach areas it is critical that you let a professional handle the job.
I called the office at 12:15pm to find out. The person on the phone said someone would get back to me soon.
No phone call so I called again at 1:25pm. On hold for five minutes.
Was told Liam would call me back, but I just told the person on the phone to cancel my appointment.
1:30pm: received a call from Clean & Clear that my appointment was never booked despite receiving a confirmation email.
This info would have been HELPFUL when I called at 12:15.
Offered to come on Monday...nope.😾
I would definitely recommend
Nice work and thank you
Just so tickled with Clean and Clear that I couldn’t resist
Extremely satisfied! Will definitely use again and recommend ...most efficient in the entire process from the scheduling to billing
Thank you for my clean and clear windows, screens and tracks
I will definitely hire them again.
Thank you for a job well done.
the work was though and efficient.
The windows are cleaner than they've ever been, the crew was professional and considerate, and I'll be asking them to repeat the mini-miracle next year. Thank you, Keegan!
I highly recommend Clean and Clear!
Keegan and his crew arrived promptly, and they were efficient, professional, pleasant, thorough and conscientious. Prior to leaving the job, Keegan offered up additional services that he thought we might be interested in, but with absolutely no pressure.
The final total matched the estimate exactly. We were extremely happy with our amazingly clean windows and will definitely use Clean and Clear again!
- How to Clean Asphalt Roofs: Tips and a Quick Process
- Gutter Cleaning Tips: How to Clean Your Gutters Fast and Safely
- What Are Hard Water Stains: Tips for Removing Water Stains from Windows
- Do’s and Don’ts of Cleaning Historic Windows
- Commercial Pressure Washing: How Often Should You Power Wash Your Business
Exterior property cleaning
We take pride in having top quality cleaning systems and employee training in all areas of our services. Our outstanding customer service and satisfaction has earned the trust of thousands of home and business owners throughout our Minnesota service area since our company began.